What is tech transfer?
NEW! AUTM’s About Technology Transfer video
Universities, hospitals and research centers conduct a lot of research that generates groundbreaking inventions that not only save lives, but improve the way we live, work and play on a daily basis. Learn more about how technology transfer benefits you. View video.
To download the video for offline viewing, right-click here, choose 'save link as...' ('save target as..' in IE) and save the file to a location on your computer. The video is in .mp4 format, which is playable in most major video players, such as Windows Media Player and iTunes.
Technology transfer is the process of transferring scientific findings from one organization to another for the purpose of further development and commercialization. The process typically includes:
- Identifying new technologies
- Protecting technologies through patents and copyrights
- Forming development and commercialization strategies, such as marketing and licensing to existing private sector companies, or creating new startup companies based on the technology
Academic and research institutions engage in technology transfer for a variety of reasons. Among them are:
- Recognition for discoveries made at the institution
- Compliance with federal regulations
- Attraction and retention of talented faculty
- Local economic development
- Attraction of corporate research support
- Licensing revenue to support further research and education